Zui is an interactive desktop application for Windows, macOS, and Linux. To install, click the link at the Zui download page for your platform and double-click the downloaded package to launch the installer.
The notes and short videos below show how to successfully install on each platform.
Once installed, no additional configuration is necessary. For your reference, a separate article describes the filesystem paths where unpacked Zui binaries and saved user data are stored on each platform.
Details are provided in each section below about when Zui may "auto-update" to newer releases and when manual upgrades are necessary. In all cases, updating to a newer version of the app will preserve your existing user data. Because the way user data is stored sometimes changes in newer releases, downgrades to older releases are not currently supported.
- Download the Zui installer via the Windows link at the Zui download page
- Launch the downloaded
.exefile to begin installation
- Choose between installing for only the current user (default) or a machine-wide install
- Click Finish and Zui will launch when installation completes
- Click the Zui icon on the Desktop or Start menu to relaunch in the future
As newer Windows releases are published, Zui will automatically download them and pop up a notification offering to restart the app to apply the update.
- Download the Zui installer via the macOS link at the Zui download page
- Launch the downloaded
.dmgfile to begin installation
- Click and drag the Zui icon into the Applications folder
- Click the Zui icon in the Applications folder to start Zui now and in the future
- You may need to click through an "Are you sure?" prompt the first time Zui is launched
As newer macOS releases are published, Zui will automatically download them and pop up a notification offering to restart the app to apply the update.
- Uninstall any currently-installed Zui release, using a tool like
apt(saved data and settings will not be disturbed by uninstall, as these are stored under a user data path that's separate from the application binaries)
- Download either the Ubuntu/Debian (
.deb) or Red Hat/Fedora (
.rpm) installer at the Zui download page, as appropriate for your Linux distribution
- Open the downloaded
.rpmfile in the Software Install utility and click Install
- Enter administration credentials, if prompted
- Click the Zui icon in the applications menu to start the app now and in the future
As newer Linux releases are published, Zui will pop up a notification of their availability, but the Linux releases do not auto-update. Follow the link in the pop-up to the Zui download page to get the latest release. After uninstalling the prior version, install the new release using the appropriate package manager for your distribution.